Friday, July 2, 2010

2010 MinuteMan 1000

Why do rally weekends seem to go by so fast?

I know........I know........ "Time flies when you're having fun."

Well, this year's rally from Rob Nye and company was a blast ! ! ! Excellent, Excellent job gentleman. I never tier of riding around New England. Beautiful seacoast shore roads, awesome twisties through green mountains, ......... total WACK JOB Massachusetts drivers ! ! ! ! ! !, it had it all. And the Moose, can't forget the moose. Man, some of them are big ! ! !. You most definately do not want to hit one of those f*ck*rs.

Total critter sightings: Two moose, (one big one in the road !!). One big ass Fox. One Box turtle. The largest crow I've ever seen. This thing was like a big black chicken. I'm thinking, "what the hell are these thing eating?" Looks like the good folks of Maine might be suffering economically, but the wildlife appears to be flourishing, along with the bugs..... LOTS of BUGS.

This year I had planned to do a lot of video recording. I quickly learned it is not as easy as one might think, and it is a real time killer, especially during a 24 hour rally. Trying to record rally events will take a lot more planning in the future. I submitt the following example of my attempt to record the Rally Start:



As you see, without a good narrative, you really have no idea what is going on.

As the rally progressed, it got worse:



It always feels good to get the first bonus bagged....but video taping it, is another story;..."No time to lose Watson, the games afoot."

Then with the second Bonus stop, I knew this wasn't working. It really does add to the chore list at each stop. I was afraid I would shoot video and not the actual bonus photo required. But mostly, it is a time killer.



I stowed away the video camera to continue on.

A post script comment:



My cheap attempt at videography was not working, however, that was not the only new electronic gizmo I was adding to my rallying farklization.

I can't believe, in my proud Luddite existance, that I must now confess to obtaining........
.
.
.
.
A GPS ................. oh, the horror ! ! ! !



Showtime.

My basic plan was to leave Rally HQ in Northampton Mass. Ride the Pike to Boston (well, close anyway) and get up into Maine. My thoughts were - good points and much less traffic... I'd hoped.

Bag the bigger bonuses in the Moosehead Lake area, ka-ruze West into New Hampshire then into Vermont for the Maple Sugar Bonus (big points). I don't remember now if I scooped any bonuses in New Hampshire. What I do remember was trying to find REAL Vermont Maple Sugar... in Vermont ... late at night ... with the stores all closed. More on this later.

Riding in Maine had it's challenges this weekend. The road surface alternated back and forth between huge frost heaves or brand new asphalt. Just when I got use to near perfect roads.... bang !!!, here come the moguls ! ! ! ! My route sent me along some scenic roads and it was nice to get way away from freakin' traffic lights. Lots of timber country to travers through, which is Ok during the day, but as we all know, can be a nightmare after dark.

At this point I should mention that the theme of this year's MinuteMan 1000 Rally was, "That's Entertainment". Most of the bonus locations had something to do with the entertainment industry. Most notably was the large string of theaters and concert halls across New England that at one time or another was host to the fabulous Grateful Dead band. Which always reminds me of a Deadhead joke: What did the Deadheads say when their pot ran out? "Man, this music sucks!!".

.....anyway, my first stop was Ogunquit Maine.

No photo, (refer to earlier video), just count the flag poles. This type of bonus always makes me a little cautious. Seems too easy. In this case the ten flag poles are clearly visible along the roof line. But is there one more by the front door, that everyone will miss? ....... never hurts to be a little suspicious of what appears to be an easy bonus.

Another rider arrived just as I was leaving. I apologize for not introducing myself. My Rally Social Small Talk skills need work. I think she is a well known writer.

Moving on.

I have to admit, having all the bonus locations and directions at my fingertips, was a new and exciting addition to my rallying experience. I understand the GPS attraction now.

I really appreciated Rob's coding of the waypoints. Having the point value included in the waypoint ID sure made route adjustments on the fly a lot easier. Nice touch, whoever initiated that idea. Thanks.

Next was Monmouth Maine.

[As a post rally function, I try to present some history of the bonus locations I visit. It makes writing this so much more interesting.]

Cumston Hall



Cumston Hall was built in 1899 with funds donated by Dr. Charles M. Cumston. Dr. Cumston wanted the Town of Monmouth to have something special, so he commissioned Harry Cochrane to design the building. Mr. Cochrane had never designed a building before but he was an accomplished painter, writer, composer and musician. He was able to transform Dr. Cumston's vision of a Town Hall into a grand building with Opera hall, library and town offices.

Built in just one year at a cost of only $20,000. A building well ahead of its time, it contained indoor plumbing, electric lighting and plenty of stain glass windows.

It is the pride of Monmouth.

Now back to enjoying the ride in southern Maine. Weather is fair, (no rain) and the roads are good. Next stop: Skowhegan.

Lakewood Theater



The oldest summer theater in America, (well, that's what their website claims). 110 seasons since the first on June 15, 1910. Designated the State Theater of Maine by the Maine legislature in 1967.

The dressing room walls have been sealed to preserve the fading signatures. The most famous is that of John Travolta. While at the height of his "Vinnie Barbarino" days, he performed here in a production of "Bus Stop".

I don't think the Grateful Dead ever played here, but Myrna Loy and Mama Cass Elliot have.


TO THE NORTH WOODS




Finally, I'm on the road to Moosehead Lake. I don't get a chance to ride up here much, so when I do, I try and enjoy it as much as possible.


This day seemed to have less and less traffic as I ventured North. But less and less people means more and more critters. I soon encountered my first moose.

She was not that big, (for a moose anyway) but big enough. She stood in a fire road, just several yards back from the edge of the road. I caught her with my left eye just as I rounded a left turning corner. I swear she watched me eye to eye as I rounded the turn. She stood still, I kept moving, praise God. My next encounter would have a slightly more elevated pucker factor.

Now entering Rockwood.

The GPS waypoint got me close but had to do a few side streets to find the bonus. It was easy, once you knew where it was......duh ! ! ! !

Rockwood Chapel



Built in 1948, it seats about 70 people. It holds services from July to September. It is one of only a few log construction type churches in Maine. It is located in a very nice spot. I would have like to stuck around for a while, but yo, I'm kinda in the middle of this rally thingy.

Gotta go.

Turning West and Bullwinkle II

On my way to Kingfield, well away from town, and enjoying long easy turns through the forest, I should have known it would be interrupted. It was classic. It happens all the time. Take your eyes off the road for an instant, and whamo. Just like magic, a LARGE stinking MOOSE is standing broadside to you and I'm close enough to see his head is turned toward me and he's looking right at me, but he ain't moving.

Start grabbing some brake, (which on an old H-D, ain't much to grab), and try to slow this pig down. Just as I was starting to enter the "danger zone", Bullwinkle decided to "Exit - Stage Left".

Thank God.

There was a bit of "entertainment" as a result of this encounter. If you have never seen a BIG moose try and get hoof traction, while on hard pavement, it is almost comical. It's like a big cartoon character trying to run. The legs are churning a mile a minute, but the torso and head are not moving. I'm very glad to have NOT been part of his act.

The rain and myself, arrived at the Stanley Museum bonus at the same time. It got real wet, real quick. Digital cameras in the rain ...... not good.

Stanley Museum



Located in Kingfield, Maine. It is the birthplace of the Stanley twins, Francis Edgar & Freelan O. Famous for their car; the Stanley Steamer, which was manufactured in Watertown, Massachusetts.

I made a promise to myself to revisit this museum when I have plenty of time to tour it thoroughly. It contains a valuable photo history of the Stanley twins and their car. Along with photos of the 1906 Land Speed Record (Steam Powered) of 127.64 mph set by Fred Marriott, driving the Stanley Steamer Rocket. This record stood for over 100 years ! ! Finally topped by the British "Team Steam" on August 25, 2009 at 139.843 mph.

The Stanley Rocket



It also tells the story of F.E.'s tragic death...... in a car accident.

As I left the museum, the skies opened. I needed gas, so I lucked out and got to hide out under the gas station canopy for most of the deluge. Next stop, Rangeley, Maine.

Home, Home on the Rangeley

This would be my second visit to Rangeley as a bonus location. I keep waiting for Rob to add Rangeley to the Rally for what it is really famous for: The Wilhelm Reich Museum - Orgonon.
(at least I don't recall the Reich Museum as a previous bonus.....could be wrong).

In the 1930s, Reich discovered a physical, biological energy in all living matter that he called "orgone," and for the next two decades devoted his life to the investigation of its laws and properties.

http://www.wilhelmreichmuseum.org/

Real science or crack pot? You decide.

The actual bonus I needed in Rangeley:

Lakeside Theater





To be honest, I know nothing of this theater. It's in Rangeley.... it was raining..... it was now late Saturday afternoon and I needed to get into Vermont and purchase REAL VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP, before the stores closed. A Rallymasters syrup addition is a dangerous thing.

It has to be REAL.
It has to be a Product of Vermont
It has to be Grade "A" Amber, ( or was it "B"?)
..... and it ain't cheap ! ! ! !

"Hello, Hello, I must be going"

So I make the command decision to skip the New Hampshire bonuses and get to shopping in Vermont. However, it's later than I think and the tourist type stores that sell the "real" stuff are closed. Store after store is closed. It's now after dark and time for Vermont to go to bed. Mornin' chores come early in the Green Mountain State. I continued on.

As I approached St. Johnsbury, a good size town (small city), I thought surely there would be something open. I used my [cough, cough] GPS to track down some stores. Nothing.

Damn, that Maple Syrup bonus was big points. Sux to be me. I could not believe I was unable to find one place open to buy a stupid bottle of over cooked, WAY over priced, tree sap ! ! ! ! !

Aaaaarrrrggggg. Oh well, move on Collins, time for your Rest Bonus.

From St. Johnsbury I hopped on I-91 South to find a 24 hour truck stop and grab some shut eye. I needed gas so this would work out ok. Gas up, take my Rest bonus and recalculate what I could to save what was left of my rally. I was still fussing to myself for not being able to find Vermont syrup in VERMONT.......... : o(

"It's Maple SUGAR, not syrup, you silly Flatlander"

Exit 17 WELLS RIVER. Food and Fuel. Perfect. I parked the bike and grabbed what gear and paperwork I thought I would need and headed inside. Both the pumps and the store/restuarant were empty. Nice and quiet. Plenty of empty booths. Much food and beverages available. This would be good. If only they sold real maple syrup.

Being a person of Faith and recalling what my wife Carol would always suggest,"Why not ask the clerk", if he knows where a person could buy some syrup?........ seemed to easy.

So I did.

The clerk just looked at me funny, and while I was bracing for the "stupid tourist" response, just quietly said, "Behind you".

Ta Da ! ! ! It was a Rally Miracle. Big points saved. Life is Good.

[Photo courtesy of Google]

Yes, indeed. There, behind me, stood a dedicated rack just full of all grades and sizes of Real Vermont Maple Syrup. I couldn't believe it. I had walked right past it coming in and never saw it. So there you go. I bought 2 half pints and stashed them away real safe like. I slept like a baby in a booth for about an hour and a half. As I sat up and started to move around, the same clerk noticed me and commented that he thought I had left. When I explained about the rally and the rest bonus, he said "Hell, there are sofas and lounge chairs upstairs in the Drivers Lounge, you could have slept up there." I will remember this place for next year's MinuteMan.

So ..... enough about the dumb syrup. There are still bonuses to get. Next stop: Fairlee, Vt

Fairlee Hotel & Drive-In





Opened in 1950, it still has some original car speakers left. You remember, the big clunky metal ones you would hang inside your car window. The ones with the worst static you could imagine. They were horrible.

The most interesting feature of this place is the fact that your room has a large window on the back wall along with a speaker system. You could watch drive-in movies from the comfort of your bed. How cool is that?

Last stop



Almost done. Just grab this last bonus photo and call it a day.

Dummerston



Evening Star No. 154, Grange Hall. I'm sorry I missed the Chicken Pie Supper. I'll bet that was some kinda yummy ! ! ! ! !

Maybe the next one.

I did learn that the town of West Dummerston is home to the second longest covered bridge in Vermont at 267 feet. It is also the longest one still open to traffic.

[Photo courtesy Wikipedia]

The UnGrateful DeadHead or How I Learned to Love My GPS.

From here it was a short ride south on I-91 and back to Rally HQ and the finish. I attempt to organize all my paperwork and delete unwanted photos in preparations to get scored. I gather up all my stuff and as expected, almost forgot my maple syrup bottle ! ! ! !

I am sad?, happy?, or just ambivalent about the fact that I failed to collect not one Grateful Dead bonus. I think the closest I got was enjoying some Ben & Jerry's "Cherry Garcia" during my Rest Bonus. Sorry Rob, but the ice cream is more enjoyable than the music.

True Confession: I DID like having the GPS. There, I said, I admit it. It was very helpful, and fun to use. I still have to explore the mystic ways of mapping software, I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. We shall see........

I did manage to secure my usual position of "middle of the pack", which is good for me. Better than some, worse than others. If you factor in the "old bike and total lack of competitive routing skills", then I'm happy.

Big THANK YOU to Rally Staff Section:
Rallies are a lot of work. All the riders know this and really appreciate all the time and energy expended on this weekend. It is a fabulous time. Thank you so much.

Thanks for being so patient with us wacky riders. It can't be easy. We do provide lots of fonder for the humor mill. By the way. To any new riders that decide to attend the next MinuteMan 1000, be advised, if you screw up and there is only minor injuries involved, your story will be told at the Finisher's Banquet. You will be called on it, even if you are a Podium Finisher, eh John?

I love it. Almost screws the pooch in the early rally and then recovers to take 3rd Place. Good rally John T. Good job.

Congrats to Jim Abbott and Michael DelBrocco for outstanding rides to finish 1st and 2nd respectively. You guys are becoming MM1k legends. Good job.


To the Saddlesore Riders: Welcome to the IBA
Your riding career will be different know. For some of you, don't forget, I warned you.
It only gets more involved from now on.

Congrats to Cheryl and Woody Carpenter for a great ride. You WILL be back next year, and you WILL do well in the 24 hour rally. I know of several two up couples that are legendary riders in the IBA. You two are poised to join them. As Adam Wolkoff would say " You WILL see their names again".

Please come and play next year.

Congrats to all the Riders. This is the best sport going. See you all next year.

Remember, riding is different here.

Mark Collins
Kingston Mass