Saturday, July 2, 2011

2011 MinuteMan 1000

Just another MinuteMan Rally? .......... I think not.

Was the location different?   No
Was the weather anything to brag about?  No
Was the earlier date really a big deal?....(well, maybe a little)

Different RM?
Jim Abbott wins  a g a i n ?  (eye roll, but in a good way)
New electronic whizz bang route sheet?

Nah.......Nah......Nah

No.......... for me it was a celebration point. This year I finally came to realize a very simple truth: 

Although I take my rallying very seriously, I do not embrace competing with quite the same vigor.

Huh?
But isn't rallying.....competing?  Yes, but I define it differently.

I prepare my motorcycle like other entrants; good tires, adjusted drive chain, what few farkles I have are working proper.
I ensure proper ATGATT.
I ready myself for full compliance with Rally Rules.
yada, yada, yada.

The difference comes when I recieve the rally pack.  I instantly look for bonus locations that I WANT to go to, not the bonus locations I SHOULD go to.  ( actually, it was Andy Kirby who first made this diagnosis )I'm just touring with a TIME LIMIT.

I never consciencely look for a "winning route".  The vintage motorcycle I choose to ride really doesn't allow for that level of routing.  Nor do I try and evaluate what might be a "losing route".  In fact I use no routing software nor do I have a laptop PC with me.

This year's bonus listings was no exception.  So many cool places to go and not enough time to do them all.  I could have scored more points routing through Connecticut and Rhode Island, but I prefer to ride around Vermont and New Hampshire and Maine.  Not a competing attitude.  But that's the way it is.

The downside is:  I love to write about my rally experiences, but I have nothing to offer on a competitive nature.  You will have to get the Big Dogs to share their stories.

The upside is:  You will never see my name on a riders list for a rally that requires a lottery style drawing.  I simply have no business taking a spot away from someone who really wants to compete. ( note: In 2007 I drew a spot in the IBR.  I rode it, I DNF'd, and that is that.)

So, what is the point of all this drivel.  Good question.  I was just trying to get a Rally Report started, and all this self deprecating moto psycho-babble came out.

Thanks for the maple syrup Rob.

"We'll be right back after Station Identification."


....... and we're back.

After an awesome banquet and opening remarks and greetings from Rob, the Rally Bonus packs are distributed.  As per my M.O.,  I have no idea where I am going.  Time to "Map Up".



I really, really, really wanted to go to Madawaska, but knew I couldn't make it and be on time at the Checkpoint at MAX's.  Maybe next time.

The route sheets where full of great bonus locations.  This year's theme " To Infinity and Beyond " was all about Space, Time and Travel.  I was actually selecting some bonuses just because they sounded cool and I had to see what it was all about.  Come to think of it, that's how I usually select all my bonuses.  Jeez, you just can't be competitive thinking that way....... told you I was hopeless.

"It's da end of da woild I tell ya, it's da end of da woild"


No one was about to let a little thing like Armageddon get in the way of the start to a great rally.  Even the Rally Staff seems undeterred by the impending doom.....


Everyone is just waiting for 0600 ........ or the End.

Release The Hounds ! ! !

Underway and heading North, (what a shock).  The MAX BMW checkpoint in North Hampton NH, was the only mandatory stop.  Did not want to miss that.  Had to be there by 14:30 ...... I think.  Maybe it was later.  I don't remember now.  I do remember that I was sure I did not have enough time to reach Madawaska.  Which sucked.

Some of my Bonus Photos with comments:


Would you take routing advise from this guy ?



First Bonus stop.   It never really feels like a rally 'till you bag the first bonus.  Then the rest is gravy.


Planet Gas.......only in VT



Views from Hogback Mt.   It was only 08:30, and I was too early for another 3800 pt bonus



Before I left Vermont, I made sure to bag the Maple Syrup Bonus.
Did you know that real Vermont Maple Syrup must be produced in accordance with the laws of Vermont.  They take "sugaring" very serious up here.


My next bonus was Keene NH.  It was not a photo bonus, just answer the question about ...... I can't remember.  I do remember the sun being out and it was a good day to ride.



Hancock NH
This MUST be some kind of super secret spooky place.  When I first could not find this bonus, I stopped in at the local Post Office to inquire within.  The friendly woman behind the counter suddenly became quiet and unsure of directions.  She paused, looked at me straight faced and told me, she was unable to give out that information.

I swear she had her hand on a secret button, and if I presisted with my inquiry, surely the "men in black" would soon arrive.

I took a quick photo and moved on.



Friendly Farm  Dublin NH.   Not a lot of points, but a nice place to bring your children.



This is one of several "Roger Babson Anti Gravity Research" bonuses.   Very interesting history on this subject.  Reminds me of the movie, " First Men In the Moon".  Professor Cavor developed anti-gravity paint, which he called "cavorite" and painted a capsule with it and awaaaaay he went.

Next was the Shepard Family plot in Derry, NH.  This bonus was about the grave of Alan B. Shepard Jr. 
If you are googling his name right now, you should be ashamed of yourself.  If you do not know who he is or what he accomplished, then you are an idiot.  You are a bad American.   Period.


On to the checkpoint.


While on the way to the Max CP, I was wrestling with a bit of an electrical gremlin.  The ignition would cut in and out as I rode along.  If I turned off the headlight, the engine would quit, but not all the time.  Must be a loose wire or a bad ground.  I'd check it out at MAX"s.  ( note: I found nothing wrong, bike ran fine the remainder of the rally).

I arrived early to the CP.  Max had plenty of food and beverages for all.  A lot of spectators came to witness the goings on.  A very BIG thanks to all the staff and volunteers at Max's, for all their support.

One of the tech's in the shop, loaned me a bike lift so I could do some chain maintenance.  Sure made life easier, thanks a million.

The entire MAX BMW staff is to be honored for their continued support of the MinuteMan 1000.

And now to enjoy the evening portion of our program....

The UNH Observatory in Durham.  Seemed like easy points. 
Next stop Maine.


Not RAY Bradbury, noted scifi writer, but ......well, no one seems to know where this Bradbury Mt got it's name.  Bag the photo and go.


Starfield Observatory - Lyman  ME
Easy bonus on the way to this:

I don't know why I didn't take a full frame photo of this place.  It's like a full lighthouse in downtown Portland.  I thought it had some style.


Bob's Java Hut ?  How the hell did that photo get here.....
This was the starting point for the Team Lyle Rally in Minneapolis.
This is another report for later.


" Boy Reading " statue in BoothBay Ha'ba
This was a nice ride, except for the rain and it was now dark.  But the road surface was new and very little traffic.  I was a little nervous about the deer sightings, but I think the rain keeps the little buggers in the woods.

It was time to turn South and make my way back to Northampton (Rally Finish) and collect what bonuses I could along the way.  Next stop was the Rest Bonus.

Going South, I got on the Maine Turnpike.  I would stop at the first Service Plaza to take my Rest Bonus.  Food , fuel and a safe place to rest.  It had been raining for a few hours and I was looking forward to drying out.  The temps were a little cool and I was getting a chill, which really sucks because when I walked into the food building, naturally they had the A/C on.  Two hours later, I was dry but never did warm up.

Once I was back in Massa choo choo, it was time for the dino bonus.

It's hard to see, but there is a 10 foot purple T-rex holding a golf club.
I love mini-golf.

Now onto I-495 and points Southwest.

Clearly I'm now in Rutland, Massachusetts.
It is now 3 am.  Do you know have any idea as to what you are doing?

I love this bonus because I was born in Mass (Plymouth), I have lived here most of my life. And never knew this existed.  I would have routed to this bonus regardless of the point value.  It was a "must visit".

This Geo Spot is on private property. I was as polite and quiet as I could be.  I parked the bike down the street. Dispite it being 3am, a voice from the house yelled down to me, " are you OK? "  I responded that I was just taking a photo of their famous tree.  " Oh, alright." 
I'm sure they thought I was wacked.  Then again, what are they doing talking to strangers at 3 in the morning?
Last Bonus:
Goddard replica rocket.  Auburn Mass.
It was raining and the rocket is in a glass box. 

This bonus foiled a lot of riders with the wrong rocket photo.  A short distance away was a full size display of a Polaris missile. 

It was very dark and I couldn't get a good photo of this missile, so I stole this from Roadside America.com

Time to head home.

That's it.  A quick jaunt down the Mass Pike and to the Finish.
For me, it was another great rally that I look forward to year after year.

I finished 18th out of 30.  Which is right on par for me.  I was satisfied with my ride.  I really enjoyed a lot of the bonus locations, as we all know now, for me, that's what it's all about.

Congrats to all the finishers. I hope you all enjoyed the rally as much as I did.
For all you SS1k finishers, welcome to the IBA and hope to see you all next year.

Special THANK YOU to MAX's BMW for their endless support.

Congrats to Rob and the entire MinuteMan staff for a fabulous rally and a super job well down.

See you all next year.

Mark W. Collins
Kingston Massachusetts